Our practice has over 100 years of history in the Weald of Kent
Pierson Stewart & Partners was first established in Marden before World War II by Fred Crowhurst and Tim Heeley. The main patients at that time were mostly livestock or farm horses who ploughed the fields in the days before tractors!
Tim took over the practice in 1944 when Fred passed away, and continued to run the business from the Marden practice. In 1956 he bought the Brooksden practice which remains the main centre of the Practice to this day.
Initially there was no local Catholic Church in the Cranbrook area, so the Cranbrook surgery premises were shared on a Sunday. Services and surgeries were held simultaneously until the new church was built next door!
As word of mouth spread and demand increased, Tim not only gained another new practice in Headcorn but also two new business partners – Eric Pierson and Doug Stewart. Our name ‘Pierson Stewart & Partners’ was introduced in 1972 following Tim’s retirement.
Our final two practices at Staplehurst and Tenterden were opened in 1988 and 1989 respectively: demand for treating farm animals in the area was declining but the number of domestic pets in the area had significantly increased. Our three original surgeries were also refurbished to provide more modern and well-equipped premises, and our Cranbrook practice achieved hospital status in 2012.
Today Pierson Stewart & Partners is owned by veterinary surgeon John Sauvage. As well as working in the practice since 1976, John has also lectured to other veterinary surgeons in the UK, Ireland, Portugal, Australia and the USA on both Practice Management and Cardiology. These days, however, he gives the odd lecture but spends most of his work time working in and on the practice.
Our Cranbrook practice is a registered Veterinary Nurse Training Centre, and all our nurse staff undergo both practical and theoretical training before taking their nursing exams.